A regular (daily, weekly, monthly) specialty serving of significant
or insignificant musings from the mind of an Italian Pastor.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Blogging through the Bible...Proverbs

We are in day 46 of the B-90 challenge. I don't know about you, but Psalms and Proverbs are killing me. I love these books. There are some great psalms and some great proverbs. But, when I am reading 24 Psalms at a time, things start to run together. When I am reading 14 chapters chocked full of different proverbs, my brain swiftly becomes mush.

However, while reading through today's section in Proverbs, I came across two proverbs that stood out to me. The first is Proverbs 14:30, "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." I tend to think a lot about what I want to buy next. My favorite website is Amazon.com. I keep my Amazon Wish List going year round so I can keep putting things on it that I would like to have at some point. I would say I am mostly content. And yet, I am always looking for something to make me discontent. It almost feels good when I am discontent. That isn't my goal. It is just the reality. This verse is a great reminder that I should be constantly seeking to be at peace in my heart. I need to be perfectly content with what I have - even if at some point I don't have as much. Understanding what I've been saved from, how could I ever be truly discontent again?

The second is Proverbs 16:9, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." I believe that we are given the free will to choose many things in our lives. However, I also believe that God is completely in control and is sovereign over everything. Many people say that I need to believe either one or the other. Either I must believe that man has free will or that God is sovereign. However, I believe both. I think that we do determine much of our lives. We have free will. We choose. However, God's plan will happen exactly how God determines it to. This verse balances the two sides perfectly. We plan our course, but God determines our steps. We make plans, make choices, and God's will is carried out. How does God allow us choices and yet still is able to achieve His will in the end? It's an easy answer...He's God!

1 comment:

  1. Dave,
    I love your candor! Not many pastors would admit that they have wish lists on Amazon.com! Thanks for your refreshing leadership. You da man!

    ReplyDelete