A regular (daily, weekly, monthly) specialty serving of significant
or insignificant musings from the mind of an Italian Pastor.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

The Light of the World...Is Jesus!

I knew this would be true...and this year I wasn't disappointed. What you ask? Well, for a long time the holiday season had lost its sense of wonder and excitement. I know I am not old. But still, when you've gone through 30 of these things they tend to begin to run together. We get a tree - just like last year. We hang the decorations - just like last year. We listen to Christmas music - new CD, but pretty much sounds just like last year's. We put lights up on the house - just like last year. I set up my Lego train - yes I said a Lego train. Come on, you know you are jealous. Still I've done it the exact same way for YEARS!

Then, something changed! Little Callie Sue was born into our family. Now I knew that she would bring the excitement back...but my expectations were too high last year. She was 9 months old. She could sit up, make funny noises and that is about it. She liked the tree. She like the lights so much they got her to crawl for the first time! But, she really had no clue what was going on. She thought torn up wrapping paper was amazing while the awesome Mr. Potato Head puppy and kitty we got her were boring. Not a great year.

Fast forward to this year. She is now 2o months (going on 21). She is running EVERYWHERE!!! She is talking up a storm and we can understand a ton of her words! I know she is aware of what is going on because if we pull in to our driveway without stopping to show her the lighted star in our upstairs window she cries! She can say "Chriti-ights" with the best of them! Every morning we get up and she says good morning to our tree and counts to 3 to have the lights turn on. She has to turn on Daddy's Lego train all by herself (yes it is still Daddy's...don't judge). Since she always cranks the throttle as far as it goes, the train flies off the track every morning! We read the story for the advent calendar and she points to where the cool handcrafted ornament goes on the flannel tree (made just for us by my awesome mother-in-law).

This year we purchased the Matthew West Christmas album. On it there is a song with the lyric "the Light of the World is still here." Amy was singing the song one day and got to "Jesus." Callie then chimes in with "'ight of the wold!" Oh yeah! that is my daughter. Now anytime we say Jesus she answers with, "'ight of the wold!"

Let us not forget the amazing truth that is found in something that my daughter reminded me of.

John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

This Christmas, are you walking in darkness or are you allowing the Light of the World to shine though your life to those around you? Are you in awe of the Light of the World or are you allowing something to outshine the only One who truly shines in this dark world?

This year, forget all the lights that shine around us and focus on the Light that shines in and through us!

1 comment:

  1. Amen and amen! There is no light display like The Light of the World!

    ReplyDelete